Sunday, June 5, 2011

"You might wanna put on your trunks, 'cause you'll be channel surfing in no time": Three reasons as to why I think "The Cable Guy" is one of Jim Carrey's best films.

You know what I really don't like? People who give a lot of shit to actors who play a role that we, the audience, have gotten comfortable with, and now see them playing a totally different performance, receive a lot of grievances for it. I understand, that change may be good or bad, but why are we so conservative when it comes to situations like that? I've never liked being conservative, which is why sometimes I'm so self-destructive, but in the end remaining conservative, or playing it safe, is just downright annoying. One example is this; I hate staying at hotels that give me that "being right at home" feeling. Excuse me Embassy Suites, I left my home so I would not have that "at home" experience. 

Usually we think that acting isn't that much of a job because all they're doing is talking in front of a camera, but in reality it's a lot more than that. Actors really put themselves out to deliver a great performance, all in the name of entertainment. One actor/director is Jackie Chan, who has literally risked his body and life by engaging in life-threatening stunts, all in the sake of our own entertainment, so when we give shit to actors for their performance, if it was at least any good, it's just a slap to the face. A certain actor who has had to deal with our criticisms for a specific role is Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy at first as Ernie "Chip" Douglas, then changes to Larry Tate and then finishing it by naming himself "Ricky" Ricardo of the TV show I Love Lucy.

One main reason I have in mind is because of Jim Carrey's performance as an antagonist. I really enjoy majority of Jim Carrey's movies because he is an amazing actor. Unlike most other comedians, Jim Carrey can actually star in serious dramatic films as well but when have you caught a movie where he perfectly plays the villain?

But then again, isn't he already insane?
Please, answer me that. Honestly, when have you seen Jim Carrey actually play a psychopathic character? We never see him play an honest mentally deranged role? I mean, we've watched him play his cooky, moronic self as the antagonist in Batman Forever, the Riddler, but it just wasn't right. In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but he fucking sucked as the Riddler. You, Jim Carrey fanatics can blow me for all I care, but that was not the Riddler, the criminal mastermind we all know and love from Batman: The Animated Series or even the comic books. Truthfully, he reminded me of the campy Riddler portrayed by Frank Gorshin, but the problem is that those Batman series were funny, while this was supposed to be an action movie... it was meant for kids so go figure. Also, that was just watching Ace Ventura dye his hair orange-red and wear a green jumpsuit. I can admit, I enjoyed it as a child, but when I watch those Batman movies without Michael Keaton, I feel like slapping Warner Bros. for making such horrible movies. If he could've portrayed the real Riddler, not that joke Schumacher made him play, he could've been a great villain.

Another reason why I believe this movie is one of Jim Carrey's best is because of the amazing cast that was involved working in this movie. Various of actors played an incredible part in the movie such as protagonist Matthew Broderick, Jack Black, Leslie Mann, Owen Wilson and of course Ben Stiller. This cast works great throughout the movie and even helps the flow of it because there really isn't much of a back-story to them but unlike most side-characters that you know nothing of them, it's pretty much given away. Ben Stiller's characters especially as twin brothers Sam and Stan Sweet. He's not really a main character, but is a part of a publicized trial of the murder of his twin brother. I really like his connection to the movie because everybody is involved into watching this murder trial that even the cable guy states "I hope they fry this bastard", or something like it.

One last reason as to why this is one of Jim Carrey's best is because... hell, it's Jim Carrey! Is there really another reason? Well... yes, there could be many more reasons but I'm not going to spend my entire time writing about it being that I'm limited (not really, I'm just lazy). Let me continue, it's Jim Carrey! Come on, he's proved countless of times that he can do really good comedy and drama movies so think about it. In reality, it's not that it's him, but the transition of characters that he did from Ace or the Mask but this adjustment fit real well for the movie. Why it got bad reviews is beyond me because this performance demonstrated an improvement of his career but it obviously backfired which it really shouldn't have.

To end it all, we have yet to see, Jim Carrey, play a good villain in a movie. This here, will be the closest we can get to see him take on the role of a great villain and yet act like himself and be funny to an extent. Don't mention The Number 23 I swear 'cause now that was a horrible movie! If you really want to see him in a bad movie, go that way, but don't drag me with you. Anyway, that's all I have to say for the moment. If you'd like to continue talking about it or mention a good or bad quality of the movie just mention it in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!
P.S.
I'm uploading an album by Fifteen right now! It should be done in ten minutes and I'll be back here to post them in an instant!

No comments:

Post a Comment