Sunday, June 5, 2011

"Surprise" by Fifteen!

As my first music post, I decided to upload and give you the pleasure to listen to a great band. If you're a fan of 90's Punk Rock outfits such as Green Day, Jawbreaker, Less Than Jake, Propaghandi, Squirtgun, Pinhead Gunpowder, The Offspring, The Bouncing Souls or Rancid, then you most likely will enjoy this album. In fact, some of these groups originated from the same area as well and even shared the stage in the famous Californian venue 924 Gilman Street.

I would like to give you a brief story as to how I stumbled upon this album, if you don't want to read it, disregard this and just go below and click on the link which will direct you straight to the download.

Around late 2007, my brother started working at Goodwill doing community service hours for autistic students. One day I was sick and had to stay home from school and my mom had to go see him at Goodwill. While waiting for him to come out, I decided to look at their shit. I actually found a really old Napalm Death shirt but it was Medium, I'm a large/X-large. I continued to look through the store where I ended up in the music section. Like always, you can never find anything in these stores other than compilation albums like Classic Hits of the 80's or Country hits, but this time I found this CD from Fifteen. I had always heard a few tunes from them, but nothing that actually got through me and made me think it was spectacular but it was $1 so I really didn't want to leave it there.

Leaving the store, I popped it in the CD player and the entire time I was nodding my head to the music and couldn't wait to get home to rip it to my computer. From that day on, I was hooked and that CD never left my shitty MP3 at the time or my car's radio. I'm not lying, I still have it there waiting for whenever I'm driving.

Fifteen came at a time in my life where I was angrier and more depressed than I've ever been before. I won't lie, I was doing a lot drinking at the time. I had a shitty social life, shows were getting weak (in my opinion), no girl spoke to me (no joke), shitty job at Little Caesars, and there was a tremendous pressure on my shoulders by my parents, counselors and every other person above me who kept telling me I have to choose a career in order to live a good life. Fuck everyone. This CD, just like the title, really Surprised me, and the rest of Fifteen's music really helped me cope with a lot of shit. I love this band so much, more than AFI, The Misfits, Minor Threat, none of those motherfuckers ever made me feel good compared to the music by Fifteen.

Compared to the rest of those California bands, they don't compare to Fifteen. Jeff Ott is an phenomenal musician and an amazing guitarist and I'd wish they'd get back together but according to various online sources, they never will get back together unless he does a mini tour and plays some acoustic stuff from his own library of music plus Crimpshrine and Fifteen tunes.

So here it is, I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do. There's many pop-punk bands out there but it makes me sad that none of them make reference to Fifteen at all. Off-topic, but I hate the label "Pop-Punk". Even fucking Green Day does Fifteen covers to this day in their tours, while bands give them shit when they really shouldn't be. My only regret is that I should've picked up to them way before '08.

No comments:

Post a Comment